Thursday, December 15, 2011

cognitive-aphasia

One of my troubles is SPEECHING... I have been told  that I have
APHASIA...trouble on left temporal side of my brain
When we want to speak, we formulate what we are going to say in Wernicke’s area which then transmits our plan of speech to Broca’s area where the plan of speech is carried out. Wernicke’s Area is located posterior to the lateral sulcus, typically in the left hemisphere, between the visual, auditory, and somesthetic areas of the cerebral cortex.
I know "what I want to say, I just cannot get it out." and or do NOT realize or know that what I said is NOT what I wanted to say and was thinking!!!!!

I think I am saying several sentences (maybe 20 words) but only say the first and last words so what I said is NOT what I meant or thought I said......

what color is my truck? what is my favorite color? I have been taught that I actually say black or brown or beautiful but I thought BLUE and had no clue I did not say blue...I was taught this  and other examples by several speech pathologists, nurses and doctors and yes friends and my son...

They are typically able to understand what is being said to them, but unable to fluently speak. This is also known as non-fluent aphasia. Other symptoms that may be present include problems with fluency, articulation, word-finding, word repetition, and producing and comprehending complex grammatical sentences, both orally and in writing.


A person with this aphasia speaks normally, but uses random or invented words, leaves out key words, substitutes words or verb tenses, pronouns or prepositions, and their sentences don’t make sense. They can also have a tendency to talk excessively. A person with this aphasia cannot understand the spoken words of others or read written words. Speech is preserved, but language content is incorrect. Substitutions of one word for another (paraphasias, e.g. “telephone” for “television”) are common. Comprehension and repetition are poor

The symptoms of Wernicke’s Aphasia reveal how important language is because people with the aphasia cannot express their thoughts. Some patients with the disorder do find a way to overcome this road block, and use facial expression and motor gestures to communicate instead. While individuals with Broca’s aphasia tend to have a good ability to self-monitor their language output (they "hear what they say" and make corrections), other types of aphasics can seem entirely oblivious to their language deficits.

No comments:

Post a Comment